Monday, January 2, 2012

Chocolate Chip Cookies, Take One

   I refuse to accept that healthy lifestyle changes equals never eating the foods I enjoy.  It simply means I need to make the foods I choose to eat be the foods I want to eat.  With that in mind, let's skip right to the main, shall we?




   The holy grail of baking is the "perfect" chocolate chip cookie recipe.  I never found chocolate chip cookie nirvana as a traditional baker.  Sure, I turned out many fine batches of my family's favorite treat, but I never found what I was looking for.  Now the search begins anew, this time with grain-free, refined sugar-free parameters.  My first attempt was going to be a recipe I found online (here http://www.primal-palate.com/2010/12/chocolate-chip-cookies.html), but I didn't pay enough attention to what I was doing, so I ended up changing the recipe substantially.  Oops.  Apparently, the middle child in me has trouble following directions.  The result is a soft, fragrant cookie full of tiny chocolate pieces.  Works for me!  I plan to try several more recipes and modifications, all in the name of research you understand, but for a first try?  Wonderful.  A bit sweet for my tastes, but for people not used to low-sugar, these are probably just about right.

Ingredients:

1.5 cups almond flour
.25 cups coconut flour
3 eggs
1 tablespoon real vanilla
1.5 teaspoons baking soda
.5 cups grade b maple syrup
.5 cups melted grassfed butter (kerry gold)
1 bag of mini chocolate chips (enjoy life)

I'm pretty much a dump and mix type of baker, so I just put all the ingredients in the bowl of my kitchenaid and whipped it up, then plopped it on a baking sheet, using parchment liner, and baked at 350 for about 13-15 minutes.

*Next time, I will eliminate the maple syrup altogether, between the sweetness of the flours, vanilla, and the chocolate chips I don't feel it really needs it. 
*I think the ratio of almond flour to coconut flour could be shifted a bit as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment